Re: [Adonthell-devel] Items(Corrected Spelling)

From: Ricardo Colon
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Items(Corrected Spelling)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:08:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Kai Sterker wrote:

> On Thursday 21 February 2002 10:31, you wrote:
>
> > Just tested and had a quick look at the code, it's just fine! All the
> > basic stuff we discussed/argued about is already in this base class.
> > Light, powerfull and efficient. Maybe it's the character which should
> > equip an item, and not the contrary, though.
>
> I agree that it looks a bit funny :). But I think being equipped is a
> function of the item, and as such fits into the item class. If you know a
> better solution, please let me know.

Actually, this makes perfect sense. Here's why:

If you think about it, given enough training any person should be able to
wield any weapon. Therefore, what determines the one's ability to use a
weapon is dependent upon their skill set.

So as long as person A is skillful at wielding 2 hand-swords, they should
be able to equip 2 handed swords. In essence, it's the skill set(a
property of person A) that determines whether or not he can effectively
wield a 2-handed. So, basically, weapons should have an attribute that
specifies the skill set needed to use it effectively.

Honestly, I'd like all characters to be able to wield all weapons, except
that some classes are much better at using certain weapons. For instance,
if you have a warrior and a wizard, but only 2 staffs in your inventory,
the warrior should be able to wield a staff, but at a significantly less
efficiency that the wizard. Therefore, if a person uses a weapons that
they're skillful at, it should intensify the damage done with that weapon.

I don't know how Adonthell classifies weapons and characters, but I hope
this helps.

                                        -- Ricardo