Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: F ker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 02:35:50 +0000 (GMT)

> So, in my opinion, I think the "gathering ingredients" scheme
Hey, __I__ came up with that idea! :-)  (I think....)

> should be
> simple if you want it to be simple, but complex if you want it to
> be. What I
> mean is: you should be able to progress through the game normally
> without
> doing much mucking around with the "focus" system. The magical
> items, when
> you first locate them, will have enough power by themselves to be
> useful.
> But if you really want to augment the power, then you can do some
> alchemy.

I think Final Fantasy 7 might be a good example to follow here.  You
could either progress normally, killing monsters only while questing,
not going out of the way to find secrets, and end up killing Sepiroth
at about level 30-50.

Or, before the final battle, you could level to a high level (80
upwards) by killing magic pots (I spent about 20 hours doing this!)
or whatever, gather all the major secrets like all the players
ultimate weapons and command materia (I love you Knights of the
Round!), then USE those big secret items and extra levels to kill the
Weapons - the most difficult baddies in the game.

This supports a good mode of play through the single player game -
first play normally, just for the sake of completing the game.  Then,
whip out the guide book, and start again, finding ALL the secrets and
kill all hidden bosses.  It is in this second phase when the player
can do all the tedious mixing and stuff.  There could be a counter
saying how many secrets/items the player has gotten in the game at
the end.