Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository

From: James Nash
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:11:34 +0100

On 5 April 2011 22:56, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'll fetch a RW clone tonight and push my files up. Made some progress on
> the roof gfx last night too. Should get them done this week.

Great!

I made some good progress on them last night. Won't be home tonight but should start uploading some more PNGs over the weekend.

I tested modeller and mapedit, and apart from a bug in mapedit that
had nothing to do with the gfx48 changes, everything worked as I had
hoped. I checked in the two models I built and a stupid map I created
with those.

In case you want to try, modeller can be started like

 ./modeller -g ../../.. -p wastesedge

and for mapedit it is

 ./mapedit -g ../../.. -p wastesedge -m models48

(assuming that you have wastesedge parallel to adonthell-tools).

I don't have any of the tools right now. Need to try and build them.

Since I only really ever used the tools on my iBook, I guess there's a
bit of work left to make them presentable on GNU/Linux and higher
screen resolutions. Implementing scaling is certainly a must have. For
the models, I basically had to open the graphics in Gimp to check
size, width and height and then enter those numbers manually.

I've been keeping track of the measurements on scraps of paper so can provide any missing ones. IIRC the walls should always 8px thick horizontally and 6px thick vertically.

Touching up the editors is certainly a priority ;-).

Once I've used them for a bit I can hopefully provide some feedback & suggestions.

On a slightly different note: for the corner tiles or the x wall tile,
it would be good if you could split up the graphics into two (or
three) parts. Otherwise the renderer will have trouble later on, even
if the model itself looks fine. You can check out the older gfx for
details. For example, the top left corner is actually made of two
images:

 https://github.com/ksterker/wastesedge/blob/master/gfx/map/wall/inside/stone/wall-tl.png
 https://github.com/ksterker/wastesedge/blob/master/gfx/map/wall/inside/stone/wall-v-top.png

On the bright side, the corner model "merges" the two (or more)
images, so during map making, this artificial split is of little
concern.

Shouldn't be a problem to do. Could you explain a little why this is so I can cater for it in future gfx?

Oh, also I'm not entirely sure if + is a valid character in Windows
filenames. Need to verify that or else change the folder names a bit.

On Windows XP it seems to work fine (tried on both NTFS & FAT32 filesystems). :-)

         - James

--
Personal site:
http://cirrus.twiddles.com