Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:50:38 +0000

walther-franks wrote:

> Strange. I sent the following mail to the ml an hour ago. I'll send it
> again, just in case. Sorry if you end up getting two copies.
>
> ------
>
> > Perhaps we should define some guidelines for the size of our graphics.
> > Like how many pixel make 1 meter, for example. I imagine with our
> > top-down
> > view, we'd have different scales for the different dimensions.
> > The y and z
> > directions are squished somewhat.
>
> Yes, that is a must. I have made some calculations, and have come up with
> the following:
>
> We all agree that an average human measures about 80 pixels from a 45 degree
> angle top view from head to heel.
>
> to get the 'front view'-size for this we have to divide by sqrt(1/2), since
> actual height * sqrt(1/2) = viewed hight.
>
> 80px / sqrt(1/2) = 113,14px is the 'actual size' of the average human. Now
> if we consider him to be 1,75m tall that gives you 113.14px * 1/1,75 = 64,65
> =roughly 65 pixels per Meter for the x-dimension, which is not shortened by
> the angled view.
>
> The y-dimension is, however. 65 * sqrt(1/2) = 45,96 so let's say 45 pixels
> per Meter on the y-axis.
>
> Is this utter nonsense or useable in any way?

Sounds good to me. We can put that in the dox somewhere (Sorry, I
haven't helped with them yet - I'm quite busy at the moment!)

While I think we should have these guidlines, I don't think artists need
to take them toooo seriously. Once we have ome characters people can
guage furniture and buildings by those gfx and not have to worry too
much about how many metres big the stuff would be in real life.

Btw, the skeleton you drew is presumably the maximum size for a normal
character, right? Therefore normal doors ought to be slightly larger - I
guess 80px high is an abolute minimum for a door and you can go up to
100px. And the width should be fixed at 40px. So, if your doors match
that size all normal characters should be able to pass through them.
Sound good?

                -James
--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821