ada-mode-users

Errors compiling ada-mode 7.2.0

From: Tirifto
Subject: Errors compiling ada-mode 7.2.0
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 14:03:58 +0000

Hello!

I am trying to install ada-mode, but keep running into issues. I had
two in wisi, in ‘sal-gen_unbounded_definite_red_black_trees.adb’, which
I have resolved. (The first had a WORKAROUND noted down as a comment in
the file, and I found out about it browsing this list’s archives. The
second was the compiler complaining about ‘@’ being a new Ada feature,
so I replaced the symbol with a variable name.)

However, now I’m getting an error message which I’m not sure how to
solve. These are the last lines printed after running ‘./build.sh -vh’:

   /usr/bin/gnatgcc -c -x ada -gnatA -fstack-check -g -gnat2012
   -gnatfqQ -gnatw.d -gnatwaBCeJL -gnatyO -gnaty3abcefhiklnOprtx
   -gnatyM120 -fstack-check -g -gnat2012 -gnatfqQ -gnatw.d -gnatwaBCeJL
   -gnatyO -O3 -fno-var-tracking-assignments -gnatyO -gnatn -gnat2020
   -gnatec=/tmp/GNAT-TEMP-000011.TMP -gnatem=/tmp/GNAT-TEMP-000017.TMP
   /home/tirifto/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.7/sal-gen_unbounded_definite_vectors.adb
   sal-gen_unbounded_definite_vectors.adb:560:25: warning: formal
   parameter "Container" is not referenced [-gnatwu]
   sal-gen_unbounded_definite_vectors.adb:566:07: warning: formal
   parameter "Container" is not referenced [-gnatwu]
   sal-gen_unbounded_definite_vectors.adb:630:34: warning: formal
   parameter "Object" is not referenced [-gnatwu]

   compilation of sal-gen_unbounded_definite_vectors.adb failed

   gprbuild: *** compilation phase failed

I reckon this kind of warning shouldn’t be a showstopper, but after the
warnings have been printed, the build hangs for a few minutes, before
reporting failure. Adding ‘-wn’ or ‘-ws’ as an option to ‘build.sh’
does not seem to help. Here below is my setup information.

Operating System:
   Trisquel 10.0 Nabia (derived from Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa)

Emacs version:
   28.1 (installed with GNU Guix)

ada-mode version:
   7.2.0 (installed from ELPA)

wisi version:
   3.1.7 (installed from ELPA as a dependency)

Output of ‘gnat --version’:
   GNAT 9.4.0
   Copyright (C) 1996-2019, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I suppose I could try and change my setup to use a compiler ada-mode
has been tested with, but I would appreciate any advice on how to get
things working with what I have in my distribution, if anyone has an
idea. I’d be happy to try and provide any other details, too. Although
I should mention that I have no prior experience with Ada or GNAT (or
Elisp, even though I’ve been using Emacs for years now).

Best of wishes
// Tirifto