ada-mode-users

Re: [Ada-mode-users] release candidate

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Ada-mode-users] release candidate
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:58:59 -0600

Simon Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On 13 Feb 2017, at 17:37, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> In particular, I'd like people to test the GPS indentation engine, since
>> it requires compiling Ada code.
>
> I needed to do this, because my 90kb .adb (over 200 subprograms) was
> taking forever to return from almost any edit.

Ok.

did you also try:

--  Local Variables:
--  jit-lock-defer-time: 0.5
--  End:

> As you might expect, I just had to do it my own way. It's possibly
> simpler for me than it may be for others, because my macOS FSF GCC
> 6.1.0 includes gnatcoll already. However, not GTK, and I suspect it'd
> be a long & tedious job to set it up ...
>
> I cloned the GPS repo at https://github.com/AdaCore/gps
> <https://github.com/AdaCore/gps>. Because of not having GTK or
> libclang, I edited configure.in to remove references (patch below) and
> regenerated configure with autoconf.

Ah. I edited GPS configure to eliminate libclang; I should also have
eliminated GTK. I'll try that.

> I don't like to configure and build in-place, so configured in a
> subdirectory build/ (actually, perhaps it should be a parallel
> directory?)

When I do that, I use a parallel directory. That simplifies diffs and
updates later.

> This needed two changes in ada_mode_gps_indent.gpr (adding the new
> subdirectory for config.ads, and removing one that doesn't exist any
> more; patch below): the program built with no problems, and appeared
> to work a treat!

Excellent.

> I had to reduce the Ada Gps Size Threshold, to 10000 -

You can set that for that one large file, via file Local Variables:

--  Local Variables:
--  ada-gps-size-threshold : 10000
--  End:

> I'll reduce it to 0 and see how things go.

Ok. You'll lose some fontification and navigation.

I'm working on a setting that uses the wisi parser for fontification and
navigation, on files < ada-gps-size-threshold, and ada-gps indentation
for all files.

--
-- Stephe