acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] Man page patch for setfacl

From: Michael Orlitzky
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Man page patch for setfacl
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 11:16:30 -0500

On 01/22/2018 10:48 AM, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:

> Take a look at the chown and chgrp utilities, which behave the same
> way as setfacl does today. There's nothing wrong with that.

Are you sure? I haven't tested, but this page suggests that a numeric
username will be looked-up and not interpreted as a uid unless you
prefix it with a '+':

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Disambiguating-names-and-IDs.html

(So if chown treats them as a uid, it's a bug.)

> If you create all-numeric user names, you deserve all the troubles
> you've been asking for.

Do I still deserve to suffer if I'm trying to fix a mistake that someone
else made 15 years ago and that I've been called in to fix?