acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] Moving attr(5) man page to man-pages

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Moving attr(5) man page to man-pages
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:58:10 +0200

Hi Andreas,

On 04/22/2015 12:42 PM, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> Michael,

>> Hi Andreas,
>> I'll move this page into Section 7, since that's where overview
>> type pages such as this are normally placed in man-pages, but
>> I'll also create a link in Section 5, so that acl(5) references
>> will continue to work.
>
> okay.
>
>> I've made a number of edits to the page. Some of these were just
>> to bring the page closer to man-pages style,
>
> The \(em dashes don't render in terminals very well.

What's the problem? (Many existing pages use \(em dashes
so this change was just for consistency.)

>> but others were to amend incorrect technical details and add new
>> details. I'd be pleased if you checked over these commits
>
> Thanks, that all looks good.

Thanks for checking.

> In addition, I would remove the list of file systems with extended
> attribute support; they are supported pretty much everywhere to some
> degree at least, even on  tmpfs.

Fair enough. I see your patch does that.

> I'm attaching a patch that also includes a few other minor changes.

Thanks! Applied.

By the way, the piece

    The list of attribute names that can be returned is also
    limited to 64 kB.

Is a limitation that affects listxattr(2), right? Maybe I should add
a sentence on that point to that page.

Also, what does this mean is someone (tries to) create(s) more than
64 kB of attribute names on a file? Do you get an error on setxattr(),
or is it the case that some names are unretrievable?

Hmm... some light testing (using XFS) suggests that one can create
more than 64 kB of attribute names, but then listxattr() fails
with E2BIG. That seems like a sad corner case :-(.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk