xwem-devel

Re: [XWEM]: Re: xwem-ng -- My initial experiences

From: Zajcev Evgeny
Subject: Re: [XWEM]: Re: xwem-ng -- My initial experiences
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:39:22 +0300

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> * Zajcev Evgeny <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
>   >> Make that "any transient window will render xwem useless". :-(
>
>   > Wait! xwem-transient does not work?  I checked it should, if not
>   > please describe what happens?
>
> OK, adding `(require 'xwem-transient)' to my xwemrc.el fixed the
> problems I was having with non-XEmacs transients.
>
>   > I checked xwem-transient with balloon stuff, no evil things as in old
>   > xwem.
>
> Well, for me, balloon-help sort of works.  The first time I do
> something that should pop up a balloon it seems to work OK (except for
> the 30 seconds I have to wait for the balloon frame to appear).  But
> subsequent balloon-help activations do nothing.  No, that's not right,
> they just don't display anything.  XEmacs gets busy and it "looks"
> like it is trying to display the balloon window but nothing ever
> appears.

Yeah :( transient stuff still has issues, i'm trying to work around
XEmacs(actualy Xt) stupidity.  The problem, i really think so, lies
that 'wm-wait XEmacs frame property does not doing anything at all.

BTW: you noticed that xwem takes more time to setup new client then
old xwem.  Most of the time xwem working with `xwem-kbd-evillocks'
things.  If you will reduce size of `xwem-kbd-evillocks' you will
decrease client setup time.  To check this out do:

   M-: (setq xwem-misc-functions-to-profile '(xwem-cl-presetup)) RET
   M-x xwem-misc-start-profiling RET
   H-a x
   ^D to kill xterm
   M-x xwem-misc-profiling-results RET

   notice Elapsed time, then do

   M-: (setq xwem-kbd-evilmasks '(0)) RET
   H-a x
   ^D to kill xterm
   M-x xwem-misc-profiling-results RET

   notice Elapsed time, this time

   See the difference?

Actually this is the area to make optimizations.  evil masks
composition are quite overheaded.  You may ask, but stop i have these
evillocks stuff also in old xwem, but there was no time issues?  Yes,
the thing is that after introducing xwem major modes(managing models)
keymaps are grabbed on every client not on every frame as in old
xwem.  So grabbing procedures occurs every time new client starts.  In
old xwem these procedures occurs only on new xwem frame creation.

--
lg