Re: [Xlog-discussion] Keyer

From: John
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Keyer
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 23:46:29 +0000

On 09/18/2013 09:18 PM, Ed wrote:
On 09/18/2013 04:38 PM, John wrote:

Thanks, Ed. Still there... the defaults looked OK. I uncommented them,
though that probably doesn't affect anything. No change in Xlog.

I ran Fldigi and it produced CW through my speakers ("CQ CQ CQ de
K3GHH..."). Of course without the proper hookup it didn't key the Orion,
but after the first few characters the transceiver produced a steady
output until the message finished. I don't know if Fldigi uses cwdaemon.

John K3GHH

fldigi does not use cwdaemon. As with all other modems the CW is via USB and soundcard. You can read here as a starter for CW and fldigi

 http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/CW.html

Dave has also developed flwkey which interfaces with the K1EL winkeyer.

 http://www.w1hkj.com/flwkey-help/index.html

As a pre-Alpha and Alpha tester I have used both.

Also fldigi is bridged to Xlog, so you will have a backup copy of your log.

I personally think Andy should look at intergrating the winkeyer into Xlog. The software is open source and GPL.

Ed W3NR

Digging into /usr/share/cwdaemon, I found a README (I know, should have looked for it first...) that had several suggestions. (1) I looked for /dev/parport0; it was there. (2) I checked for the kernel modules "parport" and "parport_pc" and they were there. (3) The printer lp module "is not currently loaded" and shouldn't be.

Running (as root) "cwdaemon -n" gave this:

address@hidden:~$ sudo cwdaemon -n
cwdaemon: Not forking...
cwdaemon: Device used: parport0
cwdaemon: Claiming parallel port parport0 failed: No such device or address
cwdaemon: HINT: did you unload the lp kernel module?
cwdaemon: HINT: perhaps there is another cwdaemon running?
address@hidden:~$

BTW, I edited /etc/defaults/cwdaemon to change speed to 28 wpm from the default 24. When I opened Xlog is was still 24.

--John K3GHH