Re: [Xlog-discussion] Uploading to LoTW

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Uploading to LoTW
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:46:17 +0100

    Grant> Hi, I am having difficulty uploading to LoTW because when I
    Grant> select the qso's to
    Grant> upload from the log, and save the file as an .adi file, then
    Grant> go into TrustedQSL
    Grant> and work through the steps as directed, the software
    Grant> indicates to me that it is
    Grant> producing a signed file that is ready for upload. It also
    Grant> tells me there are no
    Grant> errors. Only think is I see the resultant package where I
    Grant> saved it (in my case
    Grant> on my desktop) but it doesn't have the .tq8
    Grant> extension. Anyway, I then go into
    Grant> the LoTW upload page and select this package from my desktop
    Grant> and upload in the
    Grant> normal way. All seems fine as I get a message saying the file
    Grant> has been queued
    Grant> for processing. Then I received an email from LoTW saying it
    Grant> didn't appear to
    Grant> be an .tq8 file. I also see no evidence in my LoTW page under
    Grant> Activity that the
    Grant> file has been processed. How can I fix this? I even tried
    Grant> manually adding the
    Grant> .tq8 expansion to the package using the rename command. This
    Grant> didn't work either
    Grant> as it produced the same result from LoTW.

when tqsl proposes you to save the signed file, it does so in a file
with no .tq8 extension. You can add it manually in the file name field.
I would expect the LoTW software on the website not to bother about the
extension though, so my question is, are you actually loading the signed
file?
A signed file appears to the unix filesystem as a gzip compressed file:

address@hidden:~/.tqsl $ file rupecanina201110.tq8
rupecanina201110.tq8: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

The actual content can be verified with zcat. Here are the first 5 lines
of the above file:

address@hidden:~/.tqsl $ zcat rupecanina201110.tq8 | head -3
<TQSL_IDENT:34>TQSL V1.13 Lib: V2.2 Config: V1.17
<Rec_Type:5>tCERT
<CERT_UID:1>1
address@hidden:~/.tqsl $ zcat rupecanina201110.tq8 | head -5
<TQSL_IDENT:34>TQSL V1.13 Lib: V2.2 Config: V1.17
<Rec_Type:5>tCERT
<CERT_UID:1>1
<CERTIFICATE:1674>MIIEzjCCBDegAwIBAgIDAuvRMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBAUAMIHYMQswCQYDVQQGEwJV
UzELMAkGA1UECBMCQ1QxEjAQBgNVBAcTCU5ld2luZ3RvbjEkMCIGA1UEChMbQW1l

So, to recap: if the lacking .tq8 extension confuses you or the database
import software, add it manually. It's just a name. Make sure you're
uploading the signed file (whatever it's called) and not the original
adif file.

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx