Re: [Xlog-discussion] The problem with ctrl-a (suggestions?)

From: Leonard J. Umina
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] The problem with ctrl-a (suggestions?)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:39:40 -0800

Writelog uses Ctrl-w which might be "Write" QSO to move you to the QSO entry dialog.
This is easy to hit with your left hand.

As you make an entry you can tab to the fields which works well.

When you hit ENTER the QSO entry is transferred to the log.

A related feature I've tested is a hot key in the entry window which is the space bar.
I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I wrote some logging software once and it worked really
well.  Since nothing requires spaces except a comment field if you hit the space bar from
any field the software would clear all fields and abort the entry.  After you get used to it
its VERY fast - especially for search and pounce and pileups.

You can enter the call into the form - if it comes up a dupe you hit space bar and its
gone, resetting to a blank interface.  It needs to be active in all fields where space is not
permitted - so if you start to copy part of a previous exchange you can abort as soon
as you realize the callsign is a dupe.

Tab and shift tab should move you between the entry fields.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use a USB LPT port for CW Keying?  I added
one and I still get an error message from the cw deamon.    That's my
hangup right now.  My linux PC has no parallel port which is how I key with writelog.
I'd very much like to get away from Windows completely.

/Len
WT6G