[Xlog-discussion] v1.6 adventures & comments

From: Martin Ewing - AA6E
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] v1.6 adventures & comments
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:07:12 -0500

Well, I upgraded to Fedora 8 mainly to try xlog 1.6. (Bad move, but that's a story for another day.)

The good news.  Xlog compiles and installs correctly.

First run gave a horrible crash dump. After some head scratching, I turned on my rig (Orion) and tried again. All is well this time! This was a Hamlib/Orion problem. (I'm the HL Orion maintainer.) It does not seem to happen with other choices for rig type. Although the software turns to molasses if there's no response on the serial port.

I am using Hamlib from CVS. I found and fixed one problem -- invalid return when get_info returns null. Now xlog does not crash when the rig is off, but xlog hangs up with a mostly uninitialized window until you turn the rig on. I'll look at it some more. Maybe Hamlib itself should have a better way to signal if there is no rig available. A non-blocking serial read might be a good idea. And/or threads. ;-)

(I'm running Fedora 8 - Linux 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP i686 athlon i386; 1 GB RAM; Athlon XP 2000+.)

Here are some other comments, besides the start-up issue:

1. Clicking Mode button produces mode setting correctly equal to Orion's state for USB, CW (if Orion LCW or UCW), and FM.

However, Orion's LSB -> xlog USB;
AM -> (unrecognized - leaves mode unchanged);
FSK -> (unrecognized - leaves mode unchanged)

I would suggest that LSB should map to LSB at least, and recognizing AM and FSK would be good as well. What do the ADIF files want?

2. Clicking Power button gives a result between 0 and 256. Hamlib returns a floating value between 0.0 and 1.0. For a 100 watt rig like mine, that should be 0 - 100 W of course. Ideally, there would be a preference setting for max. power that would be used to scale the result. In any case, 256 can't be right for most of us!

3. (no great importance) The S-meter scale does not correspond too well with Hamlib's numbers. Xlog's meter seems to have a long time constant, and I haven't tried to calibrate it seriously. But -6 dB (S8) from Hamlib seems to give S9 on xlog's meter. It seems to indicate 1 S-unit high over the range I've checked.

Hope this helps!

73 Martin AA6E