Re: [Xlog-discussion] Documenting cabrillo import

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Documenting cabrillo import
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:29:36 +0200

Op maandag 11-06-2007 om 22:57 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Jacob
Anawalt:
> Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> >
> > You did alright. There were no errors ;-) committed to CVS.
> >

> Good. When I updated with git cvsimport it didn't merge together
> automatically, so I just took the cvs version. Lots to learn on using git.
>
> I have some questions about the cabrillo formats. Hopefully someone can
> field them so I can expand the documentation if anything relevant comes
> out of it.
>
> The first is about the format Xlog exports as vs the "other ARRL and CQ
> contests, ..." formats. Some of them have an additional field 't'. What
> goes there? Not all the samples under that block in the 2.0 spec page
> show it.
>
> http://www.kkn.net/~trey/Cabrillo_v2/qso-template.html

I found the answer on http://www.storm.ca/~ve3iay/cabrillo.html

<quote>
The "tn" field that appears at the end of QSO lines in some contests
confuses many new users; it is used to record the transmitter id number
for multi-transmitter entries in certain contests. It is unnecessary for
single-transmitter entries, although some programs insert a zero in this
field in single-operator logs.
</quote>

> My next question is about the CBR_NA/cabrillo_na_widths parsing. I've
> recounted the template at the Cabrillo_v2 page a few times and it really
> seems like it is parsing too many fields for the first exchange, since
> there isn't a 't' column. I think the first width should be 20:
>
> cabrillo_na_widths[] = { 5, 2, 10, 4, 20, 10, 21 };
>
> Searching around some more for NAQP, I found another Cabrillo spec that
> was quite different.
>
> http://www.ncjweb.com/NAQP_Cabrillo_Spec.txt

I haven't spent so much on cabrillo import. My efforts so far have been
on an error-free ADIF import, so cabrillo might need some work...

Recounting the NAQP template, it looks like

cabrillo_na_widths[] = { 5, 2, 10, 4, 20, 10, 20 };

will also work. The column before the 't' isn't used and the column
before that ia always empty, because of the 2-letter state exchange.

I will adapt your proposal, it looks like the best solution.

> It must be quite a challenge to come up with a contest log report
> format, and to write software flexible enough to handle the rules people
> come up with (or at least the current state of logs and software makes
> it seem so.) Check out this full page of hints on how to make the 7QP
> work (or how to put a square peg into a round hole.)
>
> http://www.codxc.com/new/Page.asp?Content=DRYLAND7S&Page=6

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Regards,
Joop PG4I