Re: [Xlog-discussion] a curious observation

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] a curious observation
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:52:10 +0200

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
I finally got a copy, built-in etc. got Ham lib settings working right.

thank you for putting into the documentation the notes about rigctrl. it really save me a whole bunch of head scratching.

two things that do puzzle me:

Why not sample the rate faster than 300 milliseconds if the radio is changing? I knew why it was lagging. A 300 millisecond sample time is very... very slow. From a usability perspective, it might be nice if you could increase the sample rate to around 30 milliseconds per sample only while the settings are changing.

Hi Eric, sorry for the late reply. Life has been busy lately and development was stalled during my 4 week holiday a while back...

300 milliseconds is dictated by the hamlib backend. When you consider a rig communicating at 1200 Baud and transferring lots of data (which some of the icom and kenwood rig commands do) it is not so bad. So I have taken the worst case and added 100 milliseconds, to prevent the gui from blocking. This means there is still a littlebit of time to update the screen. If we would make the timeout shorter, xlog would become unresponsive, because the serial port eats away all the interrupts.

Second, maybe I'm missing something in the configuration but if I change the radio frequency or mode, it doesn't change the settings for the next issue to be logged. I know I might be missing something because I have not played much with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my alsa mixer play nice with the world let alone gmfsk.

Err... , not sure what you mean here. Band/mode change should works flawlessly, unless it is not supported by the hamlib backend for your rig.

---eric

Regards,
Joop PG4I