Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.1.1.deb and hamlib2 packages

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9.1.1.deb and hamlib2 packages
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:31:33 +0100

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:40:19PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> xlog does a locale_to_utf8 when reading files and a utf8_to_locale when
> saving, so having the logs in utf8 format is pretty much useless, unless
> we add an option to the preferences dialog for always saving the log in
> utf8 format. This is also much faster, because we don't need to convert
> to the current locale. What do you think?

IMHO, it's better not to save in utf8, otherwise, we would have to deal
with multibyte chars in fixed width text log files.

The idea of the utf8 option would be nice, but liblogfile would have
to be fixed then.

For now, representation in one byte locale makes things simpler.
We'll see when J's and B's will ask for xlog support of Kanji et al.

--
Stephane