Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:42:33 +0100

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:00:19PM -0500, w9ya wrote:
> Since this appears to be a space/line delimited log file, wouldn't stuff like
> bash/gnu cli utils along with piping/sorting do just fine for this ? If not,
> I guess I don't understand the problem well enough. (Sorry, but I too roll my
> eyes and wonder at using a sledge hammer like SQL for something like this.)

You're quite right Bob. Xlog flexible format has been designed to
achieved just this. And using sort(1), cut(1), uniq(1), awk(1), etc.
should cover most needs.

If anyone doesn't see how, just ask for real cases, and we'll
contribute scripts to do it. Then these scripts may be included in
the future xlog release.

Cheers,
Stephane - F8CFE