Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog-0.9 released
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:33:23 -0600

* Nate Bargmann <address@hidden> [2003 Nov 11 08:55 -0600]:
> Well, I think some natural keys are:
>
> Date/time
> Callsign
> QTH
> Locator
> QSL received
> QSL sent
> Band/frequency
> Mode
> TX location/callsign
>
> Looking at http://www.sleepycat.com/products/featurelist.shtml it
> appears that a few db formats are available.
>
> My initial thought is that the db would be a simple mirror of the flat
> file format now in use.  The advantage is that the db could be
> structured for easy key/value searches with, I suspect, simpler code on
> Xlog.  I envision multiple log dbs still allowed as with the current
> flat file format.  I'm just looking for a way to make it easier for
> ordered searches to be displayed and printed from Xlog.

After reading the Berkeley DB tutorial and reference doc, I come away
thinking that there is no way to mirror what Xlog is currently doing and
enhance it with a search capability.

It seems that Berkeley is more suited to a large amount of key/value
pairs (such as a registry), but not something like a large group of
records in a table format with each record being 1 QSO with same named
keys, like an RDBMS.

I'm stumped.

I don't believe that tying Xlog to Postgres or MySQL is a particularly
good idea as it will require a tremendous amount of handholding for the
general ham population getting it set up and running correctly.

I'm fresh out of ideas...

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | address@hidden               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org