[Xlog-discussion] First GTK+ version 2 port (xlog-0.9beta1)

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] First GTK+ version 2 port (xlog-0.9beta1)
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 14:57:13 +0200

The first of a series of beta releases for xlog version 0.9 is here:

http://auric.debian.org/~pa3aba/xlog-0.9beta1.tar.gz

There is one major change: you need gtk+ 2.0 or higher to compile, gtk+ 1.2 won't work any longer.

Xlog now looks very slick with better theme support and nicer fonts. However, there is also one major drawback: logs will load slower. This is caused by the new font rendering engine for GTK+ named Pango. Pango is extensively used by the log display widget (GtkTreeView). As far as I know, speed will get better with the next planned major release of GTK+: version 2.4 (we are now at 2.2).

There were some other changes to xlog:

- new logo (stolen from the office)
- new S-meter (much simpler and easier to maintain for me)
- the right-click menu has been moved to the main menu
- mucho minor bug fixes which I fail to remember

Give it a try if you can, you can always revert to the stable 0.8 version.

As for the TODO list for the 0.9 release we could think of:
- Add the feature requested by Tomi (better gmfsk support).
- Add options for hamlib for configuring your rig at startup
- Polling frequency and polling on/off option for hamlib.
I am open for suggestions as long as they don't hold up the release to much, major changes are scheduled for 1.0

Thanks and have fun, please report problems to the mailing list.

Joop PA4TU