Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log editor and VHF logging (xlog-0.7beta4)

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log editor and VHF logging (xlog-0.7beta4)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 01:14:56 +0200

On Monday 29 April 2002 00:35, address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting Joop Stakenborg <address@hidden>:
> > > Woudl it be possibly to sort them?
> > > (for next beta) ;-)
> >
> > Yes, I think xlog needs sorting. But not in the next beta.
> > I will put it in the TODO list.
>
> It is relatively easy. Since you are using a GtkCList widget, all you need
> is a row comparison function connected to the CList. You can then even have
> the CList sort itself every time you add a new row.

Hi Alex,

Yes, I know it is easy. Xlog did have sorting in a previous version (sorting
by callsign), but I took it out once the 'find' finction was written. The
problem with sorting by date, is the date format itself. I would have to
write a function that sorts things like:

Combined with the GMT time.
This means it is not straightforward. A problem could also be that with the
different locales supported by xlog, I would have to go through all the
languages and find out what the name of the month for that language is. It is
do-able but kindof difficult.

Maybe there is a glibc function that translates date strings into different
langauges, but I doubt it.

> I can send you some sample code if you are interested (or even a patch -
> but that must wait a coule of weeks as I'm quite busy now).
>

> Alex OZ9AEC

Thanks,
Joop PA4TU