Re: [Xlog-discussion] Save as and GUI enhancements (xlog-0.7beta3)

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Save as and GUI enhancements (xlog-0.7beta3)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:03:46 +0200

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I have just uploaded the next beta to:
>
>       http://auric.debian.org/~pa3aba/xlog-0.7beta3.tar.gz

This version is great, and quite usable!

> I guess 'save as twlog' needs a bit of work. The appearance of twlog
> files saved by xlog are a bit different from those created by twlog
> (should be easy to fix).

My main interest was in the ability to import twlog. I wrote the log_append
after the old twlog format (prior to 1.3 IIRC), the one with fixed width
columns.
Let me know if you prefer the new format, with only one space between fields.

> Printing should work now and I have adapted the IPC remote logging
> code to the new columns: name, qth, endtime and locator.

I haven't tested Printing and IPC. However, new columns work great!
The PageDown/PageUp keys are okay, but Home/End keys have no effect.

> Stephane, is there a way to avoid using empty columns in the log
> when opening an adif file? We can of course open an adif file, show
> all supported columns and then remove them with the log-editor, but
> it would be much nicer if an opened log would show the exact amount
> of columns as present in the adif file....

There's no easy way. You may discover only on the last record of the
file that an infrequent column is used. Too bad.

> I am going to work on the log-editor next. This will also add 2 free
> fields to the logs, which you can give any name.
> The last item for version 0.7 will be dupe-checking. I think it would
> be nice to also have cabrillo and editest support in 0.7.

Please see attached patch. It adds the 2 new formats, plus various
fixes. Please test and report me any incoherence with the specifications.

Joop, the Cabrillo format export would need the operator's callsign.
Would it be possible to have it in the preferences?

Misbehaviour report:
* with several logs opened, "Close" from the Log menu closes only the
  active log, which is fine. However, the Ctrl-Q shortcut closes all.
* What is the expected behaviour of Up/Down keys? If one of the QSO edit
  field has focus, and you press Up/Down, it will change selected QSO
  to previous/next, and *also* the field focus!
* segfault: open a log file, select one QSO. Now close the log file.
  The QSO is still in edit, so modify a field and then click update...
* "save as" does not check for over-writing existing file.
* the "Remark" field is set to RX(RST) with logs that don't have a remark
  column.

That's all for today :)

Cheers,
 Stephane F8CFE

PS: btw, thanks Joop for having me added in the "About.." message box.