Re: [Xlog-discussion] RE: Hold your (xlog-) horses - suggestion

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] RE: Hold your (xlog-) horses - suggestion
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:59:05 +0100

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 01:57:46 +0200 (EET)
Tomi Manninen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we could live with making ':' an illegal character inside a
> message. The sending program would have the resposibility for making sure
> ':' never appears in the data. Moreover I would like to have the date and
> time fields have much stricter syntax. My suggestion would be:
>
>   date:YYYYMMDD
>   time:HHMMSS
>
> All fields padded with zeros as necessary. Time in 24h format of course
> (and I think that even though we probably just throw away the seconds they
> should still be there). Also both always in UTC.

Maybe a good way would be to leave out the ':' and use some other separator,
like '\t' or '\2' (whatever). This way we don't have to care so much about
what the application will send over. I don't want to restrict application
writers to much in the message format. The easier the format, the sooner
we will see application writers using it....

> Again this would be more work for Joop as it would be xlog's job to do the
> final formatting...

No problem.

> --
> Tomi Manninen           Internet:  address@hidden