Re: [XForms] Any plans for Wayland?

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] Any plans for Wayland?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:40:27 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 03:29:49AM +0000, Leon Taylor wrote:
> Wayland looks like it will be the default display server protocol soon,
>  replacing the ancient Xorg.

Well, that's been said for a couple of years now;-)

> How will this affect Xforms? Will it be easy/possible to port Xforms to
> Wayland or is Xforms too closely tied to Xorg?

XForms is very tightly coupled to X11, being basically what
I would call a thin wrapper around it. So I guess that moving
it to anything else would rather be a major challenge IMHP.
But then I never had time to take a closer look at Wayland,
perhaps it's easier than I imagine. And than, isn't Wayland
supposed to have a compatibility layer for X11, so that X11
programs can be run on it? If that's the case XForms perhaps
will contimue to work as if nothing happend (just maybe a bit
slower than "native" apps and with less glitz).

                           Best regards. Jens