Re: [XForms] Why does gcc not find the forms library?

From: jon
Subject: Re: [XForms] Why does gcc not find the forms library?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:34:07 +0100

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 12:32 -0700, Peter Rowat wrote:
> On OS X, I’ve installed XForms and compiled the demos and they all
> work.
> But trying to compile the simplest program directly, e.g.
>

> gcc -o pshme pshme.c -lforms
>

> fails with "ld: library not found for -lforms”
> Same happens if I tell gcc where to look:
>

> gcc -o pshme pshme.c -L/….../xforms-1.2.4/lib -lforms
>

> ls lib/*forms*
> lib/forms.c lib/forms.lo lib/forms.o lib/libforms.la lib/xforms.5
> lib/xforms.man
>

> No doubt it is something very trivial, but I’ve spent a long time
> trying to fix this.

It has been a year since I did this last but I seem to recall MacosX
doing some odd stuff.  Digging into some old projects I see things like
this:
gcc -O3 -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/X11/include -L/usr/local/lib -l forms
mycode.c

If the above does not help then you may need to dig through BSDisms like
this, good luck!
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/update_dyld_shared_cache.1.html

Cheers,
Jon