Re: [XForms] Another question on fonts...

From: Serge Bromow
Subject: Re: [XForms] Another question on fonts...
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:35:05 -0400

NOW YOU TELL ME!!! lol...

Thanks Jens

On 10/21/2014 03:00 PM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
Hi Serge,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:06:33PM -0400, Serge Bromow wrote:
I found the same problem when I moved to a new OS. The fonts were
there but the system choose 100dpi instead of 75dpi which I was
apparently using. All the programs exhibited large fonts. I fixed
this by adding the following before fl_initialize;

fl_set_font_name(FL_NORMAL_STYLE,
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-?-*-75-*-*-*-*");
[...]
That's one way to make sure that the 75dpi fonts are
definitely used by that application. A different method,
if my memory isn't playing tricks, would be to change the
"font path" on the system. You can get the current setting
(with some other information) with the command

xset q
Now, if the directories with the 100dpi fonts come before
the ones with the 75dpi fonts, then, when no pixel reso-
lution is set explicitely in the XLFD font name, the
first one in the path is used. If you change the font
path to something where the 75dpi fonts come first with
the appropriate 'xset' command

xset fp=path[,path...]
followed by

xset fp rehash
This should make this a system-wide setting if done early
enough.

Thebackground to this whole mess is, I think, that in
former times lower-resolution screens (with about 75 dpi)
were the most common and thus the default setting was to
have the corresponding fonts first in the path. Later most
people switched to higher-resolution screens and thus the
default was changed to have the 100 dpi fonts first in the
font path. But that led to some trouble with programs that
were designed to work with 75 dpi fonts...

If I'm not mistaken the function fl_adjust_form_size() was
introduced to solve exactly this problem: it checks if
(inside) labels fit into their objects and, if not, scale
up the form by a factor, which can't be larger than 1.25.
So adding a call of this function somewhere after the forms
have been created might be another way to get around the
problem.

Unfortunately, nothing of this will help if the core X11 fonts
aren't even installed on a system:-(

                      Best regards, Jens

--
Serge Bromow
DineAmix Inc.

Please Consider the Environment before Printing the E-Mail.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify DineAmix Inc. immediately by email at address@hidden.

Thank you.