[XForms] New development release 1.3.15

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] New development release 1.3.15
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:29:07 +0200

Hi,

  here's another development release (supporting TTF/OTF and UTF-8):

http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/development/1.3/xforms-1.3.15.tar.gz

It's about a few new things I learned about internationalization
and some speed-ups: Rob Carpenter send me a program where browser
redraws are extremely slow when adding new text to a browser. The
problem now seems to be solved for all cases but one: if you
insist on using X11 fonts (by passing the '--disable-xft' option
to 'configure) and have a valid setting of the LC_CTYPE locale
category then things still are very slow. After quite a bit of
testing I found that this is due to the XmbDrawString() function
(that must be used in these cases for drawing strings). It often
is slower by about twi orders of magnitude than the XDrawString()
function usable for plain ASCII and, as far as I can see, there's
nothing I can do about it since it's something in the underlying
X11 library. But there's a work-around in case your programs work
with plain ASCII strings only. Then you can set the LC_CTYPE locale
category to something invalid, which in turn will induce the li-
brary to again use the XDrawAtring() function instead. To do so
either start your program like this

> LC_CTYPE="invalid" ./porgram_name

or, to make it permanent, add lines like this

#if ! FL_ENABLE_XFT
    setenv( "LC_CTYPE", "invalid", 1 );
#endif

before calling fl_initialize() (you may need to include <stdlib.h>
for the prototype of the setenv() function). The dependence on
'FL_ENABLE_XFT' not being set is there to make this a hack only be
used in cases where the library was built with '--disable-xft' - if
it wasn't there's no big gain in doing that since with TTF-support
there's no such slow-down. Your program will run in plain ASCII mode
(if X11 fonts are to be used) and the much faster XDrawString() X11
function will be used.

                        Best regards, Jens