Re: [XForms] pre-release xforms-1.3.12

From: Serge Bromow
Subject: Re: [XForms] pre-release xforms-1.3.12
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:34:47 -0400

Thanks Jen's.

On 06/28/2014 04:01 PM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
Hi Serge,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 03:23:13PM -0400, Serge Bromow wrote:
Simple question I hope. I am using the git repository using the command;

git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/xforms.git

Works fine. When I try to use the same command to update the branch
I'm told the 'xforms' directory already exists. True enough. I
looked for an 'update' like git command without success. Should I
remove the 'xforms' folder each time or is there a argument to git
to perform an update?
No, that would be complete overkill, you just want an update!
Just go into the xforms directory and do

git pull origin master

if you want to update the main ('master') branch (i.e. currently
the one without TTF support.

If you want to try the branch with TTF support do the following:

git branch ttf             # create a new local branch
git checkout ttf           # switch to that branch
git pull origin ttf        # pull the ttf branch from the repository

'origin' is automatically set to the Savannah repository if you've
done the 'git clone' from there. It's setting is stored in the
'.git/config' file.

Since it's work in progress (and needs your approval) I haven't
checked in the TTF stuff into the main repository but into a
separate development branch, called 'ttf'. 'git clone' per default
fetches the 'master' branch, so you need to fetch the 'ttf' branch
separately, probably best also into a local 'ttf' branch - that's
the reason for creating a local 'ttf' branch first and then
switching to it above.

If you want to switch back to the 'master' branch afterwards
just do

git checkout master

Should you have modified files in between you'll get asked to safe
your changes before switching to the master branch. If these modifi-
cations aren't of interest to you anymore just say

get reset --hard

That will undo all changes. If you want to safe them for eternity
do

git add .
git commit -a -m "Your comment for the check-in"

Or, if you don't want to commit but also not delete them do a

git stash

To get stashed-away changes back do

git stash apply

(there actually can be several stashed changes and you can select
which one you want to get back with some more options;-).

And don't worry - if you mess up your local repository the worst
you'll have face is to get a new copy with 'git clone';-) And you
can't push your changes to the Savannah repository so you can't
do any damage (but you could set up your own public repository
and then I (or everyone else) could pull from that;-)

                          Best regards, Jens

--
Serge Bromow
DineAmix Inc.

Please Consider the Environment before Printing the E-Mail.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify DineAmix Inc. immediately by email at address@hidden.

Thank you.