Re: [XForms] XForms and TrueType fonts

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] XForms and TrueType fonts
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 10:56:19 +0200

Hi,

   thanks to Rob Carpenter I realized that it was a bit
stupid to ask you if you're running any old systems that
don't support Xft and whatever is needed for that. Thus
here's a test program you can compile and run. If this
fails there's reason to be concerned that the system
isn't set up to the new font handling scheme. I append
the program and a very simple Makefile to this email.

A few comments: In the Makefile there's a part that executes:

    pkg-config --cflags freetype2

This should return any "unusual" CFLAGS needed for compiling
the program - on my machine it's "-I/usr/include/freetype2"
(which is not in the compilers default search path but con-
tains header files required by Xft). If this command doesn't
work you probably don't have the FreeType library (version 2)
and then your system may be one of the "old" ones.

The program itself shows two strings, one rendered using the
X11 core functions by XForms, the second using Xft etc. I've
tried to use the exact same font for both (helvetica oblique
in 24 points). If the program works (and you don't have it
switched off) you will notice that also the bitmap font gets
drawn with anti-aliasing by Xft. That would be one feature to
be expected from the new version - if you don't like anti-
aliasing it will have to be switched off via font-config.

On my system the font rendered with Xft is a bit smaller than
the one with X11 core functions.I have no idea why, could be
something misconfigired on my machine, but could also be some-
thing to be expected from an XForms version using Xft...

                           Best regards, Jens