Re: [XForms] EXTERNAL: Any test results for new pre-release?

From: Turnage, Justin
Subject: Re: [XForms] EXTERNAL: Any test results for new pre-release?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:00:11 +0000

>I think it's an effect from rather deep down in the library:
>when in the "event loop" it sleeps for short time intervals (about 1 ms) and
>then checks for new X events. Every tenths time it skips the check for X
>events and instead run all idle >handlers. Now if you move the mouse around a
>lot of mouse events are generated in a rather short time. And since on every
>tenths event the idle callback is invoked you get a lot more >redraws if you
>do them in the idle handler. This may have become more noticeable since I
>lowered the time between checks for new X events from 10 ms quite some time
>ago since ?>machines have become that faster and people have gotten used to
>faster response times.

>The question is now if this is a real problem for you and if I have to do
>something about handling things. I have spend some effort in making timers as
>precise as I could, thus if you use a >timer anyway (and you want relatively
>precise timings) then just not using the idle callback might be one way to get
>rid of the rather unpredictable (time-wise) behavior of idle >callbacks. What
>do you think?

I'll play with it and see if I can improve the performance.  Thanks for
explaining the event loop.  I have not had a chance to look at the library
source as yet as I put this particular issue on hold for now and plan on
looking at it later.  The only suggestion that I would make if it is possible
would be to make the check for new X events variable and make what you have now
default.  So that if anything needs to be adjusted for performance reasons, it
could be.  Just my two cents without looking into this problem further.

Justin