Re: [XForms] EXTERNAL: Any test results for new pre-release?

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] EXTERNAL: Any test results for new pre-release?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 00:12:42 +0100

Hi Justin,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 03:53:07PM +0000, Turnage, Justin wrote:
> Also I have been able to use Xforms as a user GUI system with Open Scene
> Graph using the glcanvas object. Which works great, but I noticed the
> refresh rate on the screen/scene happens more often if I move my mouse on
> the glcanvas object. I am using the idle callback function, a timer callback
> updating at 5 ms, and a mouse callback function to update the glcanvas
> object at present but I wondered if there were other callbacks that I should
> be using instead. Any thoughts?

I think it's an effect from rather deep down in the library:
when in the "event loop" it sleeps for short time intervals
(about 1 ms) and then checks for new X events. Everty thenths
time it skips the check for X events and instead run all idle
handlers. Now if you move the mouse around a lot of mouse
events are generated in a rather short time. And since on
every tenths event the idle callback is invoked you get a lot
more redraws if you do them in the idle handler. This may
have become more noticable since I lowered the time between
checks for new X events from 10 ms quite some time ago since
machines have become that faster and people have gotten used
to faster response times.

The question is now if this is a real problem for you and if
I have to do something about handling things. I have spend
some effort in making timers as precise as I could, thus if
you use a timer anyway (and you want relatively precise ti-
mings) then just not using the idle callback might be one way
to get rid of the rather unpredictable (time-wise) behaviour
of idle callbacks. What do you think?

                             Best regards, Jens