Re: [XForms] a few questions

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] a few questions
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 13:55:04 +0100

Hi Derek,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:39:53AM +0200, chapitech wrote:
> I use a choice menu, so you click on the button and an xpopup gives the
> choices. the xpopup tries to align the choice button with the top of the
> xpopup (as commented in the sourcz), or if it clips the bottom of the display
> the bottom of the xpopup is aligned with the bottom of the display. - I hope
> you are with me so far.

Yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to work;-)

> the question is how can I align the bottom of the xpopup with the button, or
> the form, as the choice menu is at the bottom of the form, and is often
> obscured by the windowmanager's taskbar. I am wondering if a constant like
> FL_POPUP_ALIGN_BOTTOM exists and could be applied somewhere??

> BTW half the time the program is used, it is from a windows machine via an
> Xming server.

There currently is no way to specify such an alignment. May
I ask which window manager has a taskbar that obscures a
popup? With the only one I have around here at the moment
that has a taskbar this doesn't happen, i.e. it show the
popup on top of the taskbar. Is it possible that this only
happens witg Xming? (I'm asking because I'd like to be sure
if this is problem that only happens with Windows or if I
need to find a way to figure out if some portions of the
screen are "unusable" - currently the root window is what
the function that aligns the menu is looking for, but that
might not be the correct way to do it. On the other hand,
if some Windows weirdness is the reason then I fear there's
hardly anything I can do.)

Of course, it would be possible to add some function that
allows to specify some preference of the alignment of the
popup relative to it's button. I'd have to think a bit about
how to implement it though. There still would be a problem
if the meu is higher than (or nearly as high as) the screen
but that's probably something that doen't happen very often.

> screenshots available if it would help.

I guess I can imagine what's happening;-)

> fl_get_button_numb(obj) works with buttons, but not with other
> objects such as sliders (or cavas objects, but I wrote a prehandler
> for that as I needed more mouse info). is there a reason for this or
> am I missing something?

Because nobody ever wanted something like that;-) And XForms
doesn't react to anything else than the left mouse button
for sliders (or the scroll wheel), so that would be every-
thing that could be reported. Canvases are a different beast
altogether, with them you register a handler function anyway
which receives the requested X events, and if it was a mouse
button event (ButtonPress or ButtonRelease) you get the infor-
mation which mouse button was used from the X event (if 'ev'
is the pointer to the event 'ev->xbutton.button' contains
the mouse button used). Which widgets would you need that
information for specifically? It's always possible to add
another function;-)

> If you (jens) are interested i could do a few more screenshots of
> one of the programs for the xforms site for the moment feel free to
> use anything in www.chapitech.fr/xforms

Thank you! I especially like the oct2013.png - but it's up
to you to decide which one you want to appear. If I may use
that or some other what kind of caption would you like to
have? I would like to properly attribute it to you or your
company and a very short description would also be nice.

                           Best regards, Jens