Re: [XForms] Xforms & threads-functions & others

From: Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane
Subject: Re: [XForms] Xforms & threads-functions & others
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:56:59 -0500

There are two things I would suggest you look at for the work you are doing, as
they *MAY* make your work easier.

1) fl_add_io_callback, which allows you to get input from io devices, *when*
the devices have input to give.
 http://xforms-toolkit.org/doc/xforms_6.html#SEC35

2) gpsd, which will take input from several kinds of gps/AIS/navigation devices
and output it in one consistent format, plus at the same time keep your Network
Time Protocol in sync.
  http://www.catb.org/gpsd/
  http://gpsd.berlios.de/
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gpsd

<SNIP>
> After connection with the external device (receiver or navigaror) is
> established, the program accepts from it and writes down in a file the
> continuous binary data flow with a reception interval in 1 second. For
> this second it is necessary to execute parsing the accepted data and
> still some mathematical transformations and to have time to write down
> results in in 3 files (on an accessory of the data).
>
> Practically all GNSS-receivers are arranged so that form the block of
> messages and send this block through the fixed interval of time -
> usually 1 second. To read from port on 1 byte too slowly. The program
> should "see" that the called messages having headings and the
> terminations are received. It considerably accelerates the subsequent
> data processing.
>
> At this time the user will be switched between program windows that:
> 1. To establish start and stop for record of each point chosen on
> district,
> 2. To change if it is necessary height of the aerial of the receiver,
> 3. To look level of signals from visible satellities in a firmament,
> 4. To look an arrangement of satellities in a firmament.
>
> I represent it as 2 independent problems. Thus an exchange of the
> program with the receiver it is desirable anything both not to
> interrupt
> in any way and not to stop at all.

<SNIP>