[XForms] New pre-release 1.0.94pre5

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] New pre-release 1.0.94pre5
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:23:37 +0200

Hi,

  I have just mae available a new pre-release, 1.0.94pre5 which you
can download from

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/xforms/xforms-1.0.94pre5.tar.gz

  All the changes in this pre-release are about the edit keys
of the input objects and a bit about the selection when double-
clicking into an input object. As I had written previously, the
default behaviour of the edit keys seemed to be a bit confusing
to some users since they differed quite a bit from what the are
used from other toolkits (e.g. both the <Backspace> and the
<Delete> key erase the character to the left of the cursor).

As Ruud Warmoeskerken kindly pointed out changing this uncon-
ditionally might also be confusing for long-time users of pro-
grams linked against older versions. I now tried to resolve
these somewhat contradictory requirements by adding a new
switch that can be used when configuring the library:

--enable-classic-editkeys

If this is specified while running 'configure' nothing of the
old behaviour and settings of the edit keys is changed. So
users that just ise XForms for some old program and don't want
anything changed can use this option to keep their users happy.

If it's not specified the new behaviour takes over. <Delete>
will now delete the character right to the cursor and in com-
bination with the <Ctrl> key the word behind the cursor is
erased.

Also what is considered a word has changed a bit. In the old
version all characters except the space and the linefeed were
condidered to be part of a word. This also doesn't fit the
behaviour of other toolkits - there only letters, digits and
the underscore are treated as being part of a word. And this
now also what XForms does.

This also concerns the movements of the cursor to the next/
previous word (using <Ctrl>f and <Ctrl>b) - the cursor will
now move, when at a character that's considered to be part of
a word (i.e. /A-Za-z0-9_/), to the next character that is not
part of word, and, when at a character that's not part of a
word, to the next character that is. Sounds more complicated
than it is;-)

Finally, I added a new function

void fl_get_input_editkeymap(FL_EditKeymap *keymap)

that allows to ask for a copy of the currently used map of
the edit keys, which should make it easier to manipulate
it without unintentionally changing settings.

I would like to encourage you to download the new version
and play around with it. As I have written I'm planning to
base the 1.2 release on it and I would very much like to
have that as error-free as possible. As no-one alone is able
to test everything that's in this rather large library the
more people with different use-cases have a look if every-
thing they use is working correctly the more likely it is
that mistakes can be caught before the new release!

                           Best regards, Jens