[XForms] Edit keys for input objects

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] Edit keys for input objects
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:07:14 +0200

Hi everyone,

   I just got a "complaint" from someone (not on the mailing
list but a user of a program that is using XForms) about the
way the "Delete" key is handled in input objects: both the
"Delete" and the "Backspace" key delete the character before
the cursor. But it seems to be a common convention to have
the "Backspace" key remove the character before the cursor
and "Delete" to erase the key under/after the cursor. At
least that's what I also see with other libaries (Qt, KDE,
Gnome) or e.g. in the shell, under emacs etc. And the per-
son making me aware of this that the behaviour in XForms
can be a bit annoying when you're used to have "Delete"
erase the next character and it instead deletes text you
wanted to keep.

On the other hand this behaviour of XForms goes back at
least to version 1.0 (that's the first one I have access
to), so other people might have gotten used to its cur-
rent behaviour, which could get angry if it would be
changed. And, of course, it's possible to redefine the
behaviour using e.g. fl_set_input_editkeymap().

Question is now if I should change the defaults or leave
it to the individual programmer to correct the keymap?
I'm sitting on a fence a bit since I hardly ever use the
"Delete" key and can see both the arguments for keeping
the old behaviour and changing it to something more in
line with what people nowadays might expect as the de-
fault. Would anyone care to comment?

                           Best regards, Jens

PS: A bit ago I proposed to move to a "real" version
    1.2 release. As far as I can see nobody has either
    complained or agreed. Is there anybody out there
    having an opinion or proposals what needs be done
    before making a 1.2 release?