Re: [XForms] Re: xforms-development Digest, Vol 16, Issue 3

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] Re: xforms-development Digest, Vol 16, Issue 3
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:09:49 +0200

Hi Jens,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 05:31:28PM +0200, jens harms wrote:
> i try to be more precise:
>
> i want to create a script-interpreter to create a working gui from a script.
> the script defines the behavior of the gui and describes the sql
> database interface.
>
> the script interpreter is working - funny, I thought this was the easiest
> part.
> currently i'm porting the widget code to "C".
>
> the goal is create database applications in minutes, given some good
> defaults, this should be possible.
> many people are using access or excel for simple database
> applications, that is because other solution
> tend to be more complicated. i think it should be made more simple.
> if everything needed is a customizeable table with search/sort
> widgets, then you could prepare a BIG widget
> that just needs to be initialized and does what you want. then your
> application is ready in minutes.
>
> that would be good start.

Sounds interesting. But are you expecting help or just want to
let us know about your project? I see no real problems in what
you're planing to do: After you have parsed the script and know
which widgets are needed in the form simply call the functions
for creating a form and then the functions for creating the ob-
jects. Perhaps using a single callback function for all objects
will be the most simple way to deal with user events. Then you
call fl_do_forms() to "run" the script.

If you want some special widget (like your "customizeable table
with search/sort widgets") we can discuss that but it needs to be
well specified and useful also for others. And I am, of course,
always prepared to accept new widgets written by others as long
as they seem to make sense and are written in a reasonable way;-)

                               Best regards, Jens