Re: [XForms] fdesign created c files, invalid conversion

From: Rouben Rostamian
Subject: Re: [XForms] fdesign created c files, invalid conversion
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:49:06 -0400

He Jens, re your message:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 05:03:19PM -0400, Rouben Rostamian wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:52:35PM +0200, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, not at the moment. I will change fdesign so
> > > that the cast is automatically added to allow compilation
> > > with C++ compilers (I took that out quite some time ago,
> > > not considering that people might use C++ compilers, and
> > > nobody complained until now;-)
> >
> > I don't see why you should change fdesign to accommodate people
> > who misuse it.  Fdesign generates C code which is expected
> > be compiled with a C compiler.  Let those who try to compile
> > it with C++ or Cobol suffer the consequences.
>
> Hmmm, since the documentation claims that XForms also works
> with C++ people may assume that a C++ compiler can also be
> used to compile the files generated by fdesign with a C++
> compiler. And I personnaly feel that it's better to make
> that rather simple change, actually reverting to the old
> behaviour, than to frustrate them. And as far as I can see
> this is all that's needed - things would be different if we
> now also would have to do memory allocation using new etc.;-)

I was not aware that the documentation says that XForms
also works with C++.  If so, then sure, adding the requisite
incantations to the xforms and fdesign would be the right thing.

> Or do you know of any C compiler that would complain about
> unnecessary casts? That would definitely change the situation!

I don't think that an ordinary C compiler will complain about
the cast because casting is a legal construct in C.

Rouben