Re: [XForms] repeat timeout in browsers

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] repeat timeout in browsers
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:38:24 +0200

Hi Michal,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 06:58:42AM +0200, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> For some time I have been experiencing problems when using browsers:
> quite often (like 50-70%) the click on the scrollbar resulted in
> two-page advance instead of one, making this way of scrolling quite
> confusing.
>
> Looking into the code of "slider.c" I found the "repeat_ms" parameter of
> any slider which seems to control how often to repeat the page-scroll
> when the left mouse button is hold. It is set by default to 100
> (milliseconds). Increasing that to 150 or 200 fixed my problems. Still,
> other people may be happy with 100ms (which makes continuous scrolling
> faster), so I do not think the hardwiring the change into the code would
> be appropriate.

Would it help if there was a longer delay directly after pressing
the mouse button down, i.e. waiting for e.g. 200 ms before "jumping"
every 100 ms starts? That way there would be more time to release
the mouse button and thus avoiding scrolling more than a single
page. Only if you keep the button pressed longer than that it would
start to jump a page every 100 ms.

> I wonder whether it would be doable/desirable to make this parameter's
> default value user-adjustable. There is a (non-documented) function
> 'fl_set_slider_repeat' which sets the parameter but only for a single
> slider object. Furthermore, the slider being a part of a browser is not
> accessible (or at least, I do not know how to access it).

I seem have to added that some time ago but never got around to
documenting it. Of course, I could add a similar function for
the browsers sliders. Writing the documentation for it probably
will take more time than writing the code;-) I'll add it in the
next few days.
                                  Best regards, Jens