[XForms] file selector with callback

From: Michal Szymanski
Subject: [XForms] file selector with callback
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 06:41:44 +0200

Hi,

I am a bit confused by the behavior of the file selector with a callback
defined. I got confused playing with demos while giving a try to the
newest version, 1.0.93sp1, namely "pmbrowse" which, when a directory is
double-clicked, prints out an error message (as a directory like ".." is
not a recognized xpm/xbm file, surely) but the file selector does not
change the list of files. Only when I click "Dismiss" button, it shows
the directory I changed to. Is that the expected behavior? If so,
how should the callback react to returned file being a directory to get
the file selector refreshed without having to click Dismiss.

BTW, It seems to me rather strange that a "callbacked" file selector
does not have "Return" button and text input field for entering file
name from the keyboard. While the latter is arguable, the lack of Return
button may be a real problem for users who have problems with operating
the mouse (double click being the only way to select a file).

The manual only mentions the lack of text input field but not the
"Return" button. Neither it says about "Dismiss" button. Instead there
is something about the modality of the file selector. Frankly speaking,
I do not understand the phrase even after consulting my dictionary and
Wikipedia. Can anybody explain that to me in "basic English"? :-)

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND