[XForms] python wrapper for xforms

From: LukenShiro
Subject: [XForms] python wrapper for xforms
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:58:54 +0100

Hello everyone.

I don't know if it's somehow off-topic, if so please accept my
apologies.
This mail is just to announce I am planning to create a
python-only wrapper for xforms. As far as I know there is already a
similar program, written in mixed c/python by Roberto Alsina, but it
dates back to 1996/99 (xforms version 0.80-beta and python 1.3), pretty
ancient one, indeed, so I don't know how compatible may it be, it's in
alpha development state and it is unmaintained for many years, so I
believe it's probably better to write one from scratch.

Objectives I intend to achieve are:
- keeping, as far as I can, a strict adherence to xforms libraries' API;
- using ctypes, included in python standard library, to load, call and
  use xforms' shared libraries; in order to have a higher level of
  abstraction and to have a more direct approach I would avoid using
  swig, boost etc...;
- handiness in reading and maintaining;
- minimizing external dependencies (possibly it'll rely on python
  standard library only);
- releasing under the same license as xforms (LGPL).

As I am not a so-called 'experienced' programmer and I want to do some
practice with ctypes before, this can take some time; but I believe I
might reasonably have something workable by the end of the year ;-)

This is just for you to know, I'm not looking for help, yet :-P
Any suggestions/comments before I start to get my hands on it?
Thanks in advance.

--
GNU/Linux * Slackware 13.0-32bit - Gentoo amd64 testing
LU #210970 LM #98222 SU #12583