Re: [XForms] fl_set_font_name() and segmentation fault error

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] fl_set_font_name() and segmentation fault error
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:23:43 +0200

Dear Max,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:23:03AM +0200, Max wrote:
> I have tried (with the same results) both the stable version provided with
> my distribution (1.0.90 on Gentoo) and a vanilla version downloaded from
> savannah website.

I guess "same results" means segmentation faults, right?

> Running valgrind with the option --leak-check=full does not report any
> unfreed memory block, everything is cleaned before the program exists.

Yes, that may depend on what exactly gets used by the program,
XForms does not yet clan up after itself complete, but I'm
working on this;-)

> On the other hand, I get a more useful error message from X:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadFont (invalid Font parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  46 (X_CloseFont)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x4c00008
>   Serial number of failed request:  996
>
> Does it give you additional hints about the problem?

Unfortunately, not really, also X errors are a bit difficult
to find, one has to make sure X runs in synchronous mode and
the program has to be run under a debugger since the X error
message otherwise is usually not specific enough to allow
pinpointing what exactly went wrong.

Since now the program seems to exit with an X error, has the
segmentation fault vanished? I'm a bit confused about this
now.

And, BTW,  did you find any duplicate forms.h header files
that could have been a cause for the problems you encounter?
Please note that the forms.h file for e.g. 1.0.90 can't be
used with 1.0.92, if you try to you're nearly guaranteed to
run into trouble...
                         Best regards, Jens