[XBoard-devel] Segfault in cairo when running `-variant shogi`

From: Adrian Petrescu
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Segfault in cairo when running `-variant shogi`
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:37:18 -0500

On a freshly-compiled copy of master (as well as the latest stable release), running:

$ xboard -ncp -variant shogi -pieceImageDirectory /usr/share/games/xboard/themes/shogi

will cause a segmentation fault about 50% of the time, immediately after starting up:

xboard: cairo-pattern.c:187: _cairo_pattern_set_error: Assertion `status < CAIRO_STATUS_LAST_STATUS' failed.
[1]    24423 abort (core dumped)  xboard -ncp -variant shogi -pieceImageDirectory

The other 50% of the time it appears to work fine.

The crash ONLY happens when running -variant shogi, never in normal chess mode.

When I tried compilng with CFLAGS="-g -O0" so that I can try gdb'ing it, it stops happening completely. Together with the 50% intermittentness of the original crash, I'm thinking it's some sort of race condition in Cairo.

My system is:

$ uname -a
Linux halmos 4.14.8-1-ck-haswell #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 09:57:13 EST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide that would be helpful :)

Cheers,
Adrian