Re: [XBoard-devel] Board sizing

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Board sizing
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:01:09 +0200

More progress:

I now also adapt clock and message font on sizing the board window.
Downside is that this would lose you any font change you made at the
current board size, if you had not already saved settings. This because
each (windowFont,boardSize) combination has an entry in a table, with
a 'valid' flag which keeps track of whether it was set during parsing of
command-line options (incl. settings files). When the settings are saved,
only the entry for the boardSize at that time is updated to the font
actually in use, (and marked valid), after which all valid fonts are saved
in the settings file.

I guess we could copy a font to the table for the current size whenever
the user changed it through the Fonts dialog. Then it would be
remembered even if you changed the window before saving.

Another problem is how to treat all other fonts. The are stored
separately for each size in the settings file. But currently I don't
adapt them to the new board-window size. This means they would
'leak' to another size when you save settings after sizing. One way to
prevent it would be to adapt the other fonts also on sizing.
Or not copy the other fonts back to the font table at all before saving
the latter with the settings. But I guess if the user did not change the
font for the other windows, he must have been happy with it.
Unless of course the other windows were closed.

I guess a user would only want the fonts in other windows to change
when he buys a new monitor, or otherwise changes screen resolution.
In normal day-to-day sizing he would probably want it to stay fixed.
That means that making it leak to other board sizes is actually an
advantage, because he only has to set them one time for the board
size he happens to use first. And then he will always keep those
fonts, no matter how he sizes the board, and each next time the
board will open as he closed it, same size and same font. The last-
chosen font will always follow him until he changes it again.