Re: [XBoard-devel] Development release

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Development release
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:33:52 +0100

Op Wo, 9 maart, 2016 6:39 pm schreef Joshua Pettus:

> And far more important, I would say that most people don’t know how to
> use button3 on their system or that it even exists, particularly with
> laptops (and a few like apple annoyingly do not have it available at
> all).

Well, button3 is just a right-click, and XBoard uses it all over the
place. There are so many things people cannot do if they would not know
how to right-click...

> Really you are just trading one problem for another

Well, it is obvious that you are much less excited about this than I am.
Nevertheless I pushed a patch for an experimental implementation of this
idea to the 'help' branch. It works pretty well; most items can already be
retrieved from the manual. Alerting people to the fact that they can get
help by just right-clicking things cannot be that difficult...

Main defect currently is that after right-clicking an item from the
pull-down menus the menu does not automatically close, but that you have
to click the info box first. I still have to figure out how tofix that.

> Again, your idea can still work, but I still see universal online
> documentation as the real solution to the problem.
>
> Perhaps I should, stop whining and make it happen ;).

I would certainly encourage that! ;)