[XBoard-devel] saving games played on freechess.org

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: [XBoard-devel] saving games played on freechess.org
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 00:10:03 -0400

I am currently using xboard 4.8.0 on Debian Jessie to play games on
freechess.org using the following command

% rlwrap xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org
fics% getgame f

I was wondering if you could answer the following questions

1) I would like xboard to automatically save the game on the hard
drive once I finish playing it. Is this possible?

2) After finishing playing the game, I can do File -> Save Game to
manually save a game. However, the filename of the pgn file is set to
whitePlayer-blackPlayer.pgn by default. Is it possible to rename this
as whitePlayer_vs_blackPlayer_YYYYmmDD_HHMMSS.pgn? Here YYYYmmDD and
HHMMSS correspond to the date and time of the game.

3) The pgn file stored from xboard does not seem to have the time
information. But the pgn file emailed by FICS server contains this
information. Is it possible to store the time information into the pgn
saved via xboard -> File -> Save Game?

For example, this is what I see from a pgn stored via xboard

address@hidden ~/x % cat kamaraju-ariseras.pgn
[Event "ICS rated blitz match"]
[Site "freechess.org"]
[Date "2015.04.18"]
[Round "-"]
[White "kamaraju"]
[Black "ariseras"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "1249"]
[BlackElo "1065"]
[TimeControl "600"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. O-O d6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Na4 Ba7 7. Re1 Bg4 8.
Bb3 Qf6 9. d3 Bxf3 10. Qxf3 Qxf3 11. gxf3 Nf6 12. Bg5 O-O-O 13. Bxf6 gxf6
14. Bxf7 Rd7 15. Be6

But the pgn sent by FICS looks as follows

[Event "FICS rated blitz game"]
[Site "FICS, San Jose, California USA"]
[Date "2015.04.18"]
[Time "23:47:27"]
[Round "-"]
[White "kamaraju"]
[Black "ariseras"]
[WhiteElo "1249"]
[BlackElo "1065"]
[TimeControl "600+0"]
[Mode "ICS"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. O-O d6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Na4 Ba7 7. Re1 Bg4
8. Bb3 Qf6 9. d3 Bxf3 10. Qxf3 Qxf3 11. gxf3 Nf6 12. Bg5 O-O-O 13. Bxf6
gxf6 14. Bxf7 Rd7 15. Be6
{Black forfeits by disconnection} 1-0

thanks
raju