Re: [XBoard-devel] analysis mode is broken when xboard is upgraded from

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] analysis mode is broken when xboard is upgraded from 4.6.2-1 to 4.7.3-1
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 12:52:53 -0400

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 7:04 AM, H.G. Muller <address@hidden> wrote:

kamaraju kusumanchi schreef op 9/20/2014 6:15 AM:

In the new version 4.7.3-1, this behaviour is broken. After loading the game
and clicking on the "<<" button, if I press ctrl-A, nothing happens. The Analysis
Mode under Mode menu is greyed out and not clickable. In both the cases above,

This is because you did not put an -lgf (-loadGameFile) option in front of the filename,
to specify that what follows is the name of the game file. I think the docs clearly
specify that you should.

Thanks for pointing me to the -lgf option. Adding it to my original command solves the issue.

Also, thanks for the detailed explanation why command was not working, history, possible work arounds etc.,. It is all very useful.

You could even add an "-initialMode Analysis" in the -viewerOptions to make the
analysis start automatically.

Cool. It saves me couple of seconds. So, my final command is

address@hidden:~/chess$ xboard -fcp crafty -initialMode Analysis -lgf KamarajuKusumanchi_vs_paconov_2014_04_02.pgn

In other words, there is no bug, just a change in default for so far undocumented
behaviour, which you can configure to restore the old behavior, or much more.

I agree that it is not a bug and will close the Debian bug.

regards
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi