Re: [XBoard-devel] some configure.ac questions/ possible gettext solutio

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] some configure.ac questions/ possible gettext solution
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:49:45 +0200

Arun Persaud schreef op 9/18/2014 6:19 PM:
"[...]When the maintainer then runs
gettextize from, say, version 0.12.1 on the package, the occurrence of
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.5) will be changed into
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.12.1), and all other developers that use the CVS
will henceforth need to have GNU gettext 0.12.1 or newer installed."

the problem is that once you run autopoint with a higher version, it
will update configure.ac automatically to the installed version
according the quoted paragraph above.
No, that is not true. It says that happens when you run gettextize. NOT autopoint. But there never should be any reason to run gettextize, once the initial gettextize is done. They are quite explicit (in other places) that gettextize should not be part of the regular
build procedure.

Perhaps the solution is that I (as the person with the lowest gettext version) should do the gettextize, and commit the Makefile.in.in resulting from it to git? It surely worked for me; I remember that when we just started this NLS stuff, the way to recover from any patch you made (which made it impossible for me to build) was tu run "gettextize -f" myself.

If that would not work for you: the quoted text talked about calling autopoint from a pre-configure script. I suppose that refers to ./autogen.sh? Can the problem be that we should explicitly call autopoint there, and that all problems stem from that we don't?

H.G.
  Which might make it back into git
by chance (e.g. using a git commit -a) and this will then break things
again. If we remove the version requirement, autopoint won't run
automatically anymore as far as I understand and we would need to run
gettextize manually, which seems saver to me.
Is it not possible to run autopoint manually?

Arun