Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:58:30 +0200

OK, I solved the crash. I had overlooked that the routine would be called twice, once for each square color texture, so that remembering the old size in a single static variable would not do. The current version works for me; I tested it on an artificially reduced 3x4 variant and a cropped bitmap.

So at least the problem that the supplied XQ bitmap did not work upto the maximum size should be solved now. And I like the fact that at large board sizes it increases the line width of the grid. The only question is whether it does this at the optimal moment; the unscaled bitmap is now used upto 49x49 squares, and 53x53 already cuts from a doubled size. While apart from a small artifact near the diagonal lines, the original bitmap did not look that bad at all upto 72x72. So perhaps I should determine the scaling factor a bit more conservatively, e.g. requiring that the scaled bitmap is at least 80% of the board size, rather than 100%.

H.G.