Re: [XBoard-devel] ICS Interaction window in XBoard-GTK

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] ICS Interaction window in XBoard-GTK
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:18:37 +0100

Op Zo, 9 februari, 2014 8:59 pm schreef Arun Persaud:

> how about using tabs for the chats? There could be one for the console and
> one tab for each chat partner. I think there should be something in GTK
> that provides tabs and I would guess that it might take care of
> remembering the text+highlights etc for each tab. Once there is a message
> for a tab, the tab label could get highlighted.

Well, the way that I have it now uses Break Options to divide the former
Chat window into vertically-stacked panes, one for the chats, the other
for the ICS Console. I can then show/hide the panes without actually
having to change the text. This is equivalent to having tabs, and didn't
require significant extension of the front-end.

I don't think it is a good idea to completely hide the ICS Console,
though. So the current design either does 50-50 ICS Console / chat, or
assigns the complete area to the ICS Console. This would probably not be
possible with standard tabs.

It should be ready for testing. As far as GTK is concerned it seems
finished. If we decide to keep this, the only remaining problem is how to
repair the Xaw build. Things that automatically popped up the ICS Input
Box in Xaw were now changed to pop up the ICS Console, and I even removed
the menu item for that ICS Input Box.