Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:24:05 -0800

Hi

> How do we add entries to the menu, btw? Will every *.desktop file we
> place in a
> /usr/share/games/xxx/application folder automatically appear in the
> games menu?

I'm not sure how this works exactly. But I think when creating the rpm
you call a macro that installs the desktop file in the right locations
and takes care of putting it in the games menu, so it's not part of the
configure/make/make install cycle... not sure how to install multiple
desktops file correctly though. At the moment we are calling the xdg-*
directly via make. Probably also not the right thing to do, at least we
should check for the xdg-* executable before running it... I guess on OS
X for example this might break the install at the moment... If I have
some more time this week I'll look into it a bit more.

Also, there is no start menu in gnome3 anymore, is there still one in
the current KDE version? Perhaps we don't need to bother solving this
problem?

> Rather than proliferating the number of XBoard menu items by adding all
> kind
> of ICS entries, would it be an idea to make a mime type for ICS login files
> (now by default .icslogonrc in XBoard, I think), and associate it with
> XBoard
> in -ics mode?

hmm, but .icslogonrc is a hidden file, so you can't just doubleclick on
it...

cheers
        ARUN