Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:19:18 -0800

Hi

> A questions for my understanding as to how this works:
> I notice you copy the icons to xboards own data directory tree before you
> subect them to xdg-icon-resource. Does the latter only link to the
> existing files
> 'in place', rather than copying it to a centrally maintained collection
> of icons
> that this is necessary?

I have to say that I don't really know, I just used the commands you
mentioned in one of the emails and it it seems to work OK ;) I'll play a
bit more around with it on the weekend and test the rpm from the build
server.

> I also notice you use a wrong name: x-xboard-pgn should be x-xboard-trn
> to match the icon mentioned in the mime-type definition.

oops. I'll correct that this WE

> As to the naming of icons, I am not sure what the conventions for that are,
> but I noticed now that I have been inconsistent: for the PGN icon I
> prefixed
> the name with "application-" (because when searching for icons I
> encountered
> some that were named like that), but I did not do it for the TRN icon,
> although
> the corresponding mime type is called application/x-xboard-trn .
>
> We also have no icon for application/x-chess-fen (but define the mime type,
> and supply a desktop file to handle it). With WinBoard PGN and FEN files
> use the same icon (the one I used for PGN here, a yellowish/black chess
> board).
> I always found this a bit annoying. Perhaps I should define a similar but
> distinguishable icon for FEN (and perhaps also define an EPD mime type,
> and use it for that too)? E.g. a white/black chess board?

could do... it would be nice to have those icons in SVG and then create
pngs from there if needed.

how about a chess board as a background and PNG or FEN written on top of it?

ARUN